Trademark Registration Service
Hong Kong is well known for its reputation in protecting intellectual property rights. Trademarks are protected in Hong Kong under the Trade Mark Ordinance.
Benefits of registering trademarks
- The trademark can be exclusively used by its owner, or licensed to another party for use in return for payment.
- Provides legal certainty and reinforces the position of the right holder, for example, in case of litigation.
- Prohibits third parties from registering an identical mark on your specified goods.
- Registered trademark will be considered as an asset of the company
- Ensure trademark owner can safely use the registered trademark without worrying about the unintentional infringement on other’s registered trademark
Classification of Goods
Hong Kong follows the Nice Classification.One may apply the same mark under multiple classes. Specification of goods and services can either based on actual use or an honest intention to use the mark in Hong Kong. Unlike other countries, commencement of use is not a prerequisite for the issuance of trademark certificate.
The processing time for trademark registration in Hong Kong may take approximately 6-8 months from start to finish.
Pre-Filing Trademark Serach
Approx. 15 working days
Application of Trademark
Approx. 3-5 months
Posting on Gazette
Approx. 3 months
Issue Trademark Certificate
Once a trademark was registered, it will be valid for 10 years and is renewable indefinitely for further periods of 10 years by paying renewal fee.
Application details required
- 1. Full name and address of the trademark owner (e.g. Certificate of Incorporation / Business Registration Certificate for company applicant or personal identification documents for individual applicant)
- 2. A detailed list of the goods and services to be covered in the application
- 3. A specimen of the trademark (prefer soft copy in JPG format) in black and white print or color prints if trademark needs to be registered in color
If clients would like to inquire trademark registration, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]for more information.